How to pick the one that is right for you.
Photo booths have been all the rage at weddings for the last few years. I personally LOVE them! But if you are thinking about having a photo booth at your wedding or event, there are some things that you should consider before you decide which one is right for you. There are many photo booths out there. So what do you choose? Here are some important details to consider:
- Size – How much space do you have for a photo booth? The booths with a hard shell are really cool but they take up a lot of space. Also, you are limited to how many people you can fit inside. Photo booths that have a removable curtain can accommodate as many people as you want. So, get a group shot with all 7 bridesmaids or your extended family! An open booth can also be arranged to capture the gorgeous background that you probably have if your event is in the mountains.
- Green Screen – Some photo booths offer green screen technology. With a green screen you can project any photo in the background; which is pretty cool! This is usually an added cost, so you will have to weigh the cost/value. It will also take up more space.
- Camera – web cam vs. DSLR? I would caution you against any photo booth that uses a web camera. Web cams do not take good quality photos. The best photo booths use DSLR cameras with at least 10 megapixels. If you want to blow up a photo at a later date, anything less than 10 megapixels is going to look grainy or fuzzy.
- Video – Video sounds cool but in reality, most people freeze up when the camera starts rolling. If you are considering using video in your photo booth, just realize that it will take longer to get your guests through the line as there will inevitably be many retakes before they get it right. That being said, it would be cool to let your friends and family leave you with a personal message for you to see after your wedding.
- Social media – OK, you and your girlfriends just took the “perfect” group moustache shot and you want to post it on Facebook right now! Some photo booth companies have the ability to let you upload your picture at the event. Also, what about later? Is there a place where you can upload pics and post them on social media sites? Can you and your guests print them out for free or is there a cost? Can you get your favorite photo from them through a website or do you have to make a personal request to the company?
- Portability – Sometimes, a booth will need to be moved from one location to another during an event. If this is something that you are considering, make sure that your booth can be moved quickly without the need to completely tear it down first.
- Layout – What type of layout are you looking for with the prints? Do you want photo strips with several small pictures, a 4×6 with three pics and a logo, or one big 4×6, 5×7, or 6×8 style photo? Can you add you own personal touch like a logo, quote, a pic of the mountains where you are having your wedding, or color that matches your wedding/event? If you are going the photo strip route, does the printer cut the strip for you and will it make a straight cut? Very few printers have the ability to slice the photo strips and only the best of the best can do it straight.
- Props – Are the props fun and appropriate for your party? How will they be displayed? Will they be thrown on a table haphazardly or will they be organized in a wardrobe or neatly in containers? Can you request certain props like moustaches, or sports paraphernalia? Is there an extra cost for props or are they included?
- Touch screen and other options – Do you want a touch screen that you and your guests can control which gives you more privacy or do you want the attendant to be in control? Also, what if you take a bad picture; your eyes are closed or you just weren’t ready? Can you get a “do over” or is your entire strip ruined because of one bad pic? The best photo booths have the ability to re-take a photo until you get the one that you love.
- External video monitor – want to see what’s going on in the booth? Some companies have the ability to connect an external monitor to the outside of the booth that can display pics or video so your know why everyone’s giggling in there!
This is really popular at high school dances and parties with lots of young people.
If you would like more info, please contact Michelle at our sister company Snowflake Photo Booth. She is an expert on photo booths and can answer all of your questions! 970-368-3004